Navigationsweiche Anfang

Navigationsweiche Ende

Select language

EU citizens

EU and EEA citizens who are entitled to freedom of movement do not need official authorization of residence in Germany. For an overview of entitlement visit PDF-document.

Confirmation of residential rights in Germany is no longer issued!

Information on residence regulations for EU citizens, as well as contact addresses, is available in English, French and German at this website.

Residence permit (Aufenthalterlaubnis)


Travelers to Germany require a recognized and valid passport or ID document. Non-EU citizens require, in addition, valid authorization of residence in Germany in the form of a visa or residence permit.

Authorization of residence is granted or extended by appointment with the Foreign Citizens’ Office (Ausländerbehörde) of the city or municipality where you live. If your residential registration is in Wuppertal (see point 1 above), you should apply for a personal appointment for a residence permit at the

Foreign Citizens’ Office (Ausländerbehörde)
– Service and Appointments –
An der Bergbahn 33
42289 Wuppertal

Opening hours


7.00 am - 12.30 pm

2.00 pm - 3.00 pm

 Wednesday 7.00 am - 12.30 pm

7.00 am - 12.30 pm

2.00 pm - 5.30 pm

 Friday7.00 am - 12.30 pm

You can also make an appointment online

When making the appointment, the Foreign Citizens' Office will let you know what kind of documentation is required. Furthermore a fee up to 110,- Euro will be charged.

For further information in various languages visit the website.

Residential registration (Anmeldung)

If you are staying longer than 3 months, you must register at Residents' Registration Office Wuppertal ( only available in German) within 2 weeks of your arrival in Germany.

The process is only possible with appointment. At the following link you can make an appointment (only available in German). Terminvereinbarung

The address of the office is:

Steinweg 20, 42274 Wuppertal
(near "Alter Markt" Schwebebahn stop in Barmen)

Opening hours

Monday + Wednesday7.00 am - 2.00 pm
Tuesday + Thursday 7.00 am - 6.00 pm
 Friday 7.00 am - 1.00 pm

If you live in a different city or municipality, you must register at the Residents' Registration Office there.

You must either register personally or authorize someone else to register for you. There is no registration fee.

The following documents must be presented:

  • valid passport or identity card
  • lanlord's confirmation of Residence ("Wohnungsgeberbestätigung")
zuletzt bearbeitet am: 12.03.2020