Navigationsweiche Anfang

Navigationsweiche Ende

Select language

1. Residential registration (Anmeldung)

If you are staying longer than 3 months, you must register at Residents' Registration Office Wuppertal (only available in German) within 2 weeks of your arrival in Germany.

If you take part in the Welcome Week, the International Office will arrange a collective appointment. Only if you arrive after the Welcome Week, you have to make an appointment yourself. At the following link you can make an appointment (only available in German): Terminvereinbarung

The address of the office is:

Steinweg 20, 42275 Wuppertal
(near "Alter Markt" Schwebebahn stop in Barmen)

Opening hours

Monday + Friday       7.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.

Tuesday + Thursday  7.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.

Wednesday               7.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m.

If you live in a different city or municipality, you must register at the Residents' Registration Office there.

You must either register personally or authorize someone else to register for you. There is no registration fee.

The following documents must be presented:

  • valid passport or identity card
  • lanlord's confirmation of Residence ("Wohnungsgeberbestätigung")


2. Residence permit (Aufenthalterlaubnis)

Travelers to Germany require a recognized and valid passport or ID document. Non-EU citizens require, in addition, valid authorization of residence in Germany in the form of a visa or residence permit.

Authorization of residence is granted or extended by appointment with the Foreign Citizens’ Office (Ausländerbehörde) of the city or municipality where you live. If your residential registration is in Wuppertal (see point 1 above), you should apply for a personal appointment for a residence permit at the

Foreign Citizens’ Office (Ausländerbehörde)
Friedrich-Engels-Allee 28
42103 Wuppertal

Opening hours

Monday to Friday from 7.00 until 12.30 p.m., additionally Thursday from 2.00 until 5.30 p.m.

and via phone +49 (0) 202 563 4440.

When making the appointment, the Foreign Citizens' Office will let you know what kind of documentation is required. Furthermore a fee up to 110,- Euro will be charged.

For further information in various languages visit the website.

EU citizens

EU and EEA citizens who are entitled to freedom of movement do not need official authorization of residence in Germany. For an overview of entitlement visit PDF-document.

Confirmation of residential rights in Germany is no longer issued!

Information on residence regulations for EU citizens, as well as contact addresses, is available in English, French and German at this website.

zuletzt bearbeitet am: 16.12.2019