Navigationsweiche Anfang

Navigationsweiche Ende

Select language

Health Insurance


All ERASMUS students must provide evidence of adequate health insurance on enrolment at Bergische Universität Wuppertal.

If you belong to a public health insurance organization in a member state of the EU or EFTA and complete the international form E109, E 111 or E 112, or alternatively hold a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you will be eligible for medical treatment in any other EU or EFTA member state.

Before leaving home, please ask your own health insurance organization how far this agreement holds for Germany, and fill in the appropriate form or apply for the Health Insurance Card. The E-form or EHIC card must be presented on enrolment at the university International Office.

If you do not have a health insurance of your own that is valid for Germany, you must, immediately on arrival in Wuppertal, register with a German health insurance organization, either public or private, for the duration of your exchange program at BUW. If you are not sure whether your own health insurance is valid for your time in Germany, inquire at the AOK Student Service, Schreinersweg 3, 42119 Wuppertal (very close to the university). You can contact that office Mon-Wed 08:00-16:00; tel. +49 (0)202 482 650 (

The Health Insurance System in Germany (1A Verbraucherportal)

List of German public health insurance organizations

ERASMUS students are automatically insured against work accidents and illnesses for the duration of the exchange program. However, public accident insurance only extends to activities intrinsically connected with the exchange program: i.e. attendance at the host university and the residence and movement involved in this. Private activities of whatever sort, e.g. buying books or doing food shopping, are not covered by public accident insurance.


FIRST AID an illustrated Health Dictionary

zuletzt bearbeitet am: 06.05.2020